War Memorial

Posted: May 15, 2009

War Memorial

War Memorial

Shortly after World War II, on a part of the land it had purchased in 1943 for a firehouse and alarm answering center, the Civic Club erected a War Memorial on the southeast corner of Shelbyville Road at Madison Avenue to honor the service persons who served in the war and who gave their lives for the country.

In later years, heavy traffic and absence of parking discouraged viewing of the memorial. In 2003, the Civic Club and the City of Middletown cooperated in the moving of the Memorial to the Wetherby House Park on the East side of the Wetherby House. A rededication ceremony was held on Veteran’s Day, November 8, 2003, with many of the veterans in attendance whose names were on the memorial. Middletown VFW Post participated in the memorial service.

Text used by permission from the book “A Pictorial Tour of Middletown” by Sam Tucker.